“I don’t think one can conclude that everything Dr. Chandra did is under suspicion.” — Axel Meisen, President of Memorial University of Newfoundland
Dr. Ranjit Chandra was a world-famous research scientist at the Memorial University of Newfoundland. His specialty was nutritional immunology. In 1990, he was named an Officer of the Order of Canada, Canada’s highest honor. But all was not what it seemed …
- 2007 (Feb 7) Brichard, K. Nurse who questioned now-discredited studies sues university in Newfoundland. The Chronicle of Higher Education, vol. 59, no. 23, p. A39.
- 2007 (Mar 1) Gawrylewski, A. Under suspicion, but not retracted. The Scientist.
- 2007 (Feb 8) Ungar, E. Univ. defends its defense against fraud. The Scientist.
- 2006 Munro, M. Doctor’s work still raising questions. National Post. entire series
- 2006 O’Neill-Yates, C. Interview with Memorial University president Axel Meisen. CBC News.
- 2006 Memorial University to re-examine Chandra case. CBC News.
- 2006 [TV documentary] O’Neill-Yates, C. The secret life of Dr. Chandra (part 1, transcript. CBC’s The National.
- 2005 Payne, D. Nutrition retracts 2001 paper. The Scientist.
- 2005 Journal retracts Chandra vitamin article. CBC News.
- 2004 Brody, J. E. A top scientist’s research is under attack. New York Times.
- 2004 [radio documentary] Walsh, N. Chandra documentary. CBC Radio’s The Current.
- 2004 White, C. Three journals raise questions about validity of Canadian studies. BMJ, vol. 328, p. 67.
- 2001 Brody, J. E. Nutrition a key to better health for the elderly. New York Times.
- 1995 DeMont, J. Chandra, Ranjit: Maclean’s 1995 Honor Roll. Maclean’s.
- 1992 Altman, L. K. Vitamin array is found to help elderly. New York Times.
- 2006 [critique] Roberts, S. Dealing with scientific fraud: A Proposal Public Health Nutrition, vol. 9, pp. 664-665. later version.
- 2006 [critique] Sternberg, S., and Roberts, S. Nutritional supplements and infection in the elderly: Why do the findings conflict? Nutrition Journal, vol. 5.
- 2005 [retraction of 2001 article] Meguid, M. M. Retraction. Nutrition, vol. 21, p. 286.
- 2005 [meta-analysis] El-Kadiki, A., & Sutton, A. J. Role of multivitamins and mineral supplements in preventing infections in elderly people: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMJ, vol. 330, pp. 871-874 [abridged version]. Correction
- 2004 [reply] Chandra, R. K. Validity of Canadian studies: Author’s response. BMJ, vol. 328, p. 465.
- 2003 [critique] McDaniel, M., Maier, S., and Einstein, G. “Brain-Specific” nutrients: A memory cure? Nutrition, vol. 19, pp. 957-975.
- 2003 [reply] Chandra, R. K. Can nutritional supplements improve functional outcome in the elderly? Nutrition, vol. 19, pp. 978-980.
- 2003 [critique] Roberts, S., and Sternberg, S. Do nutritional supplements improve cognitive function in the elderly? Nutrition, vol. 19, pp. 976-980.
- 2003 [reply] Chandra, R. K. [Response to comments of Carpenter et al.] The Lancet, vol. 361, pp. 2247-2248.
- 2003 [critique] Carpenter, K. J., Roberts, S., and Sternberg, S. Nutrition and immune function: Problems with a 1992 report. The Lancet, vol. 361, p. 2247.
- 2002 [questionable article] Jain, A. L. Influence of vitamins and trace-elements on the incidence of respiratory infection in the elderly. Nutrition Research, vol. 22, pp. 85-87.
- 2002 [questionable article] Chandra, R. K. Influence of multinutrient supplement on immune responses and infection-related illness in 50-65 year old individuals. Nutrition Research, vol. 22, pp. 5-11.
- 2002 [reply] Chandra, R. K. Response to comments of Shenkin et al. Nutrition, vol. 18, pp. 364-365.
- 2002 [critique] Shenkin, S. D., Whiteman, M. C., Pattie, A., & Deary, I. J. Supplementation and the elderly: Dramatic results? Nutrition, vol. 18, p. 364.
- 2001 [questionable article] Chandra, R. K. Effect of vitamin and trace-element supplementation on cognitive function in elderly subjects. Nutrition, vol. 17, pp. 709-712.
- 1992 [questionable article] Chandra, R. K. Effect of vitamin and trace-element supplementation on immune responses and infection in elderly subjects. The Lancet, vol. 340, pp. 1124-1127.
- undated Many authors. Removal from the Order of Canada. Wikipedia entry.
- 2006 [news release] Statement from Memorial University of Newfoundland re: Dr. Ranjit Chandra and research integrity. “The vice-presidents were unable to secure the data, and, as a consequence, were unable to verify research fraud conclusively.” Priceless.
- 2005 [editorial] Dr. Chandra and Nestl? why we need independently funded research. INFACT Canada Newsletter, Winter 2005, p. 10.
- 2003 [minutes of meeting of Memorial University’s Board of Regents] What Memorial University’s President told regents when questions were raised about Dr. Chandra’s research. (See page 7.)
- 2003 [editorial] Meguid, M. M., & Shenkin, A. Introduction: Nutritional supplements and the quest to improve human performance-the need for the strictest standards and rigor when reporting clinical trials. Nutrition, vol. 19, pp. 955-956.
- 2003 [news release] Trahan, R. C. Javaan 50, taking on aging and immunity. Javaan Corporation.
- 2003 [news release] Javaan: Making quality nutritional products based on years of medical research in nutrition and immunology. Javaan Corporation.