New York Times Bestseller Now in Paperback
“A weight-loss theory that just might benefit a few million people.” — Stephen Dubner, co- author of Freakonomics
“In fact, it might benefit a few billion.” — Dennis Prager,
The Dennis Prager Show interview with Seth Roberts.
“You actively feel like not eating … It’s a kind of not hungry that you’ve never felt before” — Joyce Cohen, NY Times columnist.
“It’s been two weeks since I started and oh-my-god … Within three days I was actually forgetting to eat.” — Kathy Sierra, co-author of Head First Java and blogger.
“It has been a very positive experience and weight loss is only one of the benefits” — Food Chronicler.
The Woman’s World article (“Instant Willpower!”)
Watch a CBC mini-documentary (9 minutes) about the diet.
These four graphs show the progress of Shangri-la Dieters who have posted their progress in
the tracking section of the forums (no longer in service).
- Persons posting their weight: 125
- Total weeks of data: 804
- Total weight change (ld): -903
- Average weight change/week (ld/week): -1.1
Heard on the forums
“I am seeing some results — I am feeling fuller with smaller portions and my sweet tooth seems to have lost its fangs. Example: It is normal for me to eat one of those 2-portion bags of M&M’s in one sitting, but on Friday at the movies, I only ate half. And, weirder still, I still have possession of the bag and there are still M&M’s in there.” — melissacb
“The loss of appetite is wonderful so I quit when I am full — so yes I have changed my eating habits. This morning I woke up no appetite. I used to be a big breakfast eater so scrambled a couple of eggs could only eat one so shared them with my dog. ‘The dog is loving my loss of appetite too.’ I also am drinking a lot more water. I used to choke it down; now it is my drink of choice. I think for me snacking was my demon — after lunch within 15 minutes I would be hungry again and would eat from that time on until after dinner and I am not tempted anymore.” — patsi
“I’m enormously grateful for this diet, and astonished at how easy it is. I like the side benefits and the fact that I’m enjoying different foods than I used to. It’s going to take a long time to lose anywhere near the amount of weight I need to, and I’m okay with that. I’m more than okay, I’m thrilled. ” — frenata
“I’ve been on SLD since the 1st of June. For the first 3 weeks, nothing, no appetite suppression, just will power. Then through some posts and some help I upped my intake of oil from 2 tbl spoons a day to 4 and that is what did it for me. Since June 22 I now feel like all those posts that you read about and hope to achieve. AMAZING when you find your set point. … Since then I don’t feel hungry in the morning, for lunch have a couple of pieces of fresh fruit, for dinner I steam some vegetables and a piece of good wheat bread and that’s it for the day. It’s just unbelievable. Not hardly eating anything and don’t feel like it either. NO CRAVINGS either. And, I’m a psychological and emotional eater too. It just seems to take care of everything. WOW!! … This is life changing stuff! ” — Jim
More comments heard on the forums
- 2007 (July 11) Dador, D. ‘Shangri-La Diet’ Claims No-Hunger Eat-Anything Results. KABC-TV News. 3 minutes.
- 2006 (April 30) Kapoor, S. The Shangri-La Diet. CBC News: Sunday Night. 9 minutes.
- 2007 (March 3) Punnett, I. Seth Roberts. Coast to Coast AM. 60 minutes.
- 2006 (December 6) Pascal, M., & Schott, F. Seth Roberts. The Restaurant Guys. 41 minutes.
- 2006 (October 9) Shafran, A. Seth Roberts’ Shangri-La Diet is so easy the Fat Guy can do it. Dr. Fitness and the Fat Guy Podcast. 56 minutes.
- 2006 (August 7) Muelrath, L. Teleconference with Seth Roberts. Fitness Dreammaker. 91 minutes.
- 2006 (July 19) Roberts, S. Interview for the audiobook. Tantor Media. (11 minutes) In 2 parts: Part 1 (6 minutes) Part 2 (5 minutes).
- 2006 (June 22) Crump, B. Interview with Seth Roberts. Nights on National Radio (Radio New Zealand). 20 minutes.
- 2006 (June 13) Jones, A. The Shangri-La Diet. Dr. Alvin Augustus Jones. 12 minutes.
- 2006 (May 26) Dolom, I. The Shangri-La Diet and the crazy scientist behind it. Dailysonic. 11 minutes. Recommended
- 2006 (May 18) Feria, W. The Shangri-La Diet: Stone Age tricks for losing weight. MSNBC. 24 minutes.
- 2006 (May 17) Reynolds, G., & Smith, H. The Glenn and Helen Show: Interview with Seth Roberts. Instapundit.com. 26 minutes.
- 2006 (May 3) Prager, D. Interview with Seth Roberts. The Dennis Prager Show. 35 minutes. Recommended
The forums (no longer active) contain helpful information about the diet. This is about the self-experimentation behind the diet.
Pages missing from the English export edition.