- Jared Diamond wrong about Easter Island
- Why are the Kuna Indians (in Panama) so healthy? Answer: low-processed cocoa. See this study for details.
- Asthma associated with depression
- Sufficient conversion of ALA to DHA in rats. “This work indicates that DHA [long-chain omega-3] synthesis from ALA [short-chain omega-3] may be sufficient to supply the brain.” Many people have complained that I use flaxseed or flaxseed oil to get better brain function. Don’t you know conversion from short-chain omega-3 to long-chain omega-3 is poor? I tell them it works — but somehow I must be wrong. This study shows the issue is more complicated than they realize and it is quite possible that ALA is a good source of DHA. Good news for anyone who can’t eat seafood.
- National Sleep Foundation gives terrible advice. “Finish eating at least 2-3 hours before bedtime,” they say. Whereas I believe the single best thing you can do for your sleep is eat a source of glucose and fructose, such as honey or fruit, at bedtime.
- Sleep apnea associated with cancer. It is unlikely that cancer causes sleep apnea, but quite plausible that bad sleep — including sleep apnea — increases cancer.
Thanks to Eugenia Loli.