Not just "Separated at Birth", but also Elvis Presley's weight on other planets, "Log-rolling in our time" (reciprocal book blurbs), and "The Spy 100" ("our annual list of the 100 most annoying, alarming and appalling people, places and things"). A Spy 100 entry from 1990: "83. The Democracy Hook. Leave it to corporate America to single out a joyous world event - the dismantling of the Berlin Wall - and sully it. Scarcely had the Eastern Europeans begun to revel when Pepsico, AT&T and Jovan arrived in Berlin to film gloating, we-capitalists-were-right-all-along ads for the folks back home." In its heyday, I read all of every issue three times. It was more than enjoyable; it was analgesic. I read it at the gym while working out - nothing made exercise more tolerable than Spy.
- 1995 (May/June) Roberts, S. What are you, a comedian? Spy, p. 20.
- 1990 (June) Roberts, S. Lab rat: What AIDS researcher Dr. Robert Gallo did in pursuit of the Nobel Prize, and what he didn't do in pursuit of a cure for AIDS. Spy, pp. 70-79. sidebar 1, sidebar 2, color pdf (25 Mb), & black & white pdf (1 Mb).
- 1990 (Feb) Roberts, S. Only the slightly imperfect need apply. Spy, p. 40.
- 1989 (Dec) Roberts, S. How to get published in The New Yorker. Spy, p. 48.
- 1989 (Sept) Beatty, B., Roberts, S., and Mastrianni, J. Where's the LET'S HAVE LUNCH key?. Spy, p. 66.
- 1989 (May) Roberts, S. Letters to the editor of The New Yorker . Spy, p. 54.
- 1989 (Feb) Roberts, S. "If there's one thing Ellsworth hates, it's talking-dog-on-desert-island cartoons." Spy, p. 34.
- 1988 (Dec) Roberts, S. Letters to the editor of The New Yorker . Spy, p. 54.
- 2006 (October 1) Anderson, K., Carter, G., and Kalogerakis, G.
Spy: The Funny Years. New York: Miramax Books.
- 2005 (January 2). Ross, M., and Tilley, S. Nipplegate tops 2004’s most annoying list. Edmonton Sun. Update of Spy’s annual list of the 100 most annoying people, places, or things of the year.
- 1991 (April) Goodman, F. Who’s the biggest man in Hollywood? Spy, pp. 36-43. Profile of David Geffen.
- Alexander Isley (designer)
- Andrew Milner (contributor)
- Brief history and list of covers
- Daniel Radosh (contributor)
- David Kamp (contributor)
- George Kalogerakis (editor)
- Kurt Anderson (founder and editor)
- Ten Years Ago in Spy (with proper attention to typography)